The Science of Fate By Hannah Critchlow
- Narrated by: Hannah Critchlow
- Length: 7 hrs and 44 mins
- Release date: 05-02-19
The Science of Fate AudioBook Summary
Are we really the masters of our own destiny?
Neuroscientist Hannah Critchlow shows how far our future is already hardwired in our brains. Like Sapiens and Thinking Fast and Slow, The Science of Faterevolutionises the way we understand our species and ourselves.
So many of us believe that we are free to shape our own destiny. But what if free will doesn’t exist? What if our lives are largely predetermined, hardwired in our brains – and our choices over what we eat, whom we fall in love with, even what we believe are not real choices at all?
Neuroscience is challenging everything we think we know about ourselves, revealing how we make decisions and form our own reality, unaware of the role of our unconscious minds. Did you know, for example, that:
- You can carry anxieties and phobias across generations of your family?
- Your genes and pleasure and reward receptors in your brain will determine how much you eat?
- We can sniff out ideal partners with genes that give our offspring the best chance of survival?
Leading neuroscientist Hannah Critchlow draws vividly from everyday life and other experts in their field to show the extraordinary potential as well as dangers which come with being able to predict our likely futures – and looking at how we can alter what’s in store for us.